Friday, September 29, 2017

Lake Akan


After my visit to the Shiretoko Peninsula, my itinerary included a one-night stay in the Lake Akan resort area, a vacation spot popular among domestic as well as international tourists.


I did not expect that I would have much opportunity to see any wildlife, but as it turned out, the area is part of the Akan–Mashu National Park, and the hotel where I stayed was located right next to a forested area.  After checking in, I went for a late-afternoon walk through the forest.  Just as I was entering the trail, I noticed a young deer at the edge of the hotel property.  (See photo at top of this article.)  Like the deer I saw at Shiretoko, this deer did not appear to fear humans.


The below photographs show what the forest and trail looked like.  It was very peaceful and very beautiful.





I saw a few Ezo squirrels, but because of the late afternoon’s low light conditions and the squirrels’ extremely quick movements, it was very difficult to take a photograph.  Although I saw a number of squirrels, the below photograph was the best that I could capture.


After walking around for the better part of an hour, I came across a male deer that quietly crossed the path in front of me.  After shooting a few frames, I noticed that nearby there was also a female deer and a younger deer that appeared to be the one that I had photographed near the hotel.  Perhaps this was a family of three.


I was surprised by the number of animals I observed in the short amount of time that I was in the Akan area.  I was also told by a local shopkeeper that Red foxes also make frequent, but unpredictable, appearances around the town.  For those reasons, I’d like to visit this area again someday.  Only next time, I’ll make sure I am here at least for a couple of nights.


(Note: All photos in this post were taken during a visit in September 2017.  The comments in this post are based on observations made at that time.  Conditions may have since changed.  Please check it out for yourself!)